Coaching Search Update

Kevin Schwartz reports that over 50 resumes from qualified coaches from all over the U.S., Canada, and other parts of the world have been received. Some are names that you will have heard before in the hockey world. The interviewing process is beginning this week and will end as Kevin states, "when we have found the person best suited to take on the challenge of becoming the Wranglers new Head Coach."

While in BC last weekend at the Surrey Eagles Evaluation Camp, I met one coach that was interested in coaching the Wranglers. He was a past NHL'er with an extensive Junior and Pro career which ultimately led to a brief stint with the Washington Capitals in the 80's. I asked him why the Wranglers, and he said he wanted a change of place and a change of pace. I told him that coaching the Wranglers would definitely be a challenge and I gave him all the gory and unsavory details. Believe it or not, he was excited and up to the task. He went on to tell me his goals of building a sustainable hockey program and developing players. He could be a dream come true for Wrangler hockey. I'd like to pass on his name, but once again I don't want to risk anything that would thwart his chances.

I don't know who the other 49 coach applicants are and I wish the Wranglers the best of luck in their interview process. The Wranglers desperately need a good quality coach that will develop a system of getting the puck out of the zone, passing, cycling and most importantly of all SCORING! Good luck Kevin!

A previous commenter asked about my analysis on the Wrangler players and the Surrey Evaluation Camp. I said that the two Wranglers who were participating in the evaluation camp were (in my estimation) in the top 25% of the players attending. Those two did pretty darn good with skating, passing, speed, and position. Unfortunately neither were successful enough to get invited to the Surrey Eagles Main Camp, but in my estimation they did good, very good. As far as I know none of the other NorPac or Seattle Junior Hockey Association players made the Main Camp roster either. Again out of 150+ players trying there were only 4-6 spots open.

I will be up in BC this weekend again watching the BC Mainland Tournament so I'll try and report what I see. Maybe I'll see more former Wranglers, or maybe a future Wrangler.