Pacific District Camp

I had the opportunity to watch a couple of USA Hockey Pacific District Camp practices and games. There are 82 92's and 82 93's at this camp. I paid particular attention to the 92's because of my limited schedule. I didn't have time to attend the full camp.

The Pacific District Camp is the 'best of the West' representing Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington players. Current NorPac players at the camp were:

  • Jordan Blake-Jones, Eugene Generals, 92
  • Ben Charlson, Eugene Generals, 92
  • Justin Huelsman, Eugene Generals, 92
  • Beau Walker, Tri-City Titans, 92
  • Josef Chase, Rogue Valley Wranglers, 92
  • Shawn Pauly, Seattle Totems, 92
  • Branden Vandermoon, Seattle Totems, 92
  • Josh Tweitmeyer, Seattle Totems, 92
  • MacKenzie Crews, Puget Sound Tomahawks, 93
  • McKinlee Baum, Coeur d'Alene Lakers, 93
  • Tyler Alos, Coeur d'Alene Lakers, 93

Of the 82 93's and 82 94's only 3 defensemen and 6 forwards and 1 goalie per age group will be picked to move on to the National Camp in July. This is because the National Camp will be condensed from 8 teams to only 4 because of budget cuts. That means only 1 in about 8 will have a chance to move on. Tough odds.

I saw several scouts there - WHL Everett Silvertips, WHL Seattle Thunderbirds, Seattle Totems, Eugene Generals, Puget Sound Tomahawks, NAHL and USHL.

All in all I thought the hockey played was as good as or perhaps better than most NorPac hockey. There was good passing, good shooting, some fast skating, and a few players wowed me with some great 'hands' and some good defense. I would say the hitting was light.

The lone Wrangler there - defenseman Josef Chase did a good job. He pinched in when the opportunity presented itself, had several shots on goal, got some goal assists, made some great passes, and played some great defense. Never did I see him get 'smoked' by an on-rushing forward. I did notice that he played a bit more aggressive up at the blue line than last year with the Wranglers. As always he was tough in the corners and in front of the net. I would also say he bulked up in weight going from 160 lbs. to 190 lbs, and I think he got taller (6'4+") too.

I did get a chance to watch the recent General's tender - Trace Strahle play. He is definitely fast and nimble. Other players that I noticed were: Vahe Zakaryan, 92 from California; Ryan Doner, 92 from Washington; and Jonathan Jin Choi, 93 from California. However, in reality there were so many good players that would benefit the Wranglers. I hope Coach Chelios and Kevin get a chance to see these players and others at an upcoming player showcase like Globals Las Vegas. I will be going up to Globals Burnaby next weekend to watch that showcase.